Friday 2 August 2013

Seafood stew (from Bill Granger)

If I was single, I would want to be married to Bill Granger. Instead, I have to love him from behind a cloak of books and DVDs. I love his attitude to food - straight-forward techniques, lots of fresh flavour and don't be afraid to simplify. Each of his cook books takes me on a wonderland tour. Here's another of my favourite Bill recipes, from Sydney Food. Don't go easy on the garlic here, crush it and add it in baby!! 

Serves 4

Ingredients

Extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small red chili, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
½ cup white wine
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
3-4 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest
400g of good quality marinara mix, or use selection of mussels, green prawns and scallops
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
finely chopped parsley to sprinkle

Method

Heat olive oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for five minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and chilli and cook one minute longer.

Add the parsley and stir for 20 seconds, then add wine and bring to the boil. Add canned and fresh tomatoes and the zest. Reduce to low heat and cook for 25 minutes.

Add seafood, stir and turn the heat up to medium to medium-high and cover the pan. Remove from the heat and let the seafood cook itself.

Spoon immediately into lovely shallow bowls and sprinkle with parsley, and a good whack of salt and pepper. If I'm feeling energetic, I serve it spooned over couscous. Up to you.

Here's a pic, I scanned it from Page 161 in my copy of "Sydney Food". As you can tell, I'm not very good at scanning.