Tuesday 21 August 2018

Salmon poke bowls

This is the one I made last week
Now I quietly think the Japanese pinched this idea from me. Despite this blog eulogising my adoration to food, food prep and all things gourmet, I secretly have a penchant for chucking random stuff in a bowl. Usually this random stuff is left over, on its last legs or was something I forgot I had. I've thrown strawberries and sultanas in with left over curry and topped the lot with avocado and ricotta. That sort of thing. 

My daughter loves to eat this way too and thinks we should co-author a recipe book called "Chuck Shit In". I think it would walk off the shelves and make all those Masterchef wannabes a little nervous. Plus I love books with swear words in the title. The Subtle Art etc. 

Wakame - Japanese seaweed salad


Anyway these little puddles of gorgeousness are my absolute favourite thing to make. They can be brunch, lunch, dinner or all three. The best part is they need very little cooking and you can go a little rogue on what you put with the salmon. The colours are captivating. 

But always eat them with chopsticks. It's way more fun. Just nick some from Sushi Station. 



Ingredients (Now, remember I said you had options with what you put with it? Well, I'm putting down what I use but don't be led by me. You too have an imagination.)

Sashimi grade salmon (I live close to the Fish Factory on Lytton Rd which is an excellent stockist of sashimi products) (If there's two of us, I use one fillet. If there's more of you, you'll need to do some  maths.)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons mirin
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Brown rice (go on, be lazy, buy the tub you heat for 40 seconds)
Edamame (shelled, cooked, cooled)
Wakame (the fancy name for that fabulous Japanese seaweed salad)
Cherry tomatoes, quartered
This is a pic I got from the internet and it's fabulous
Avocado, cubed
Cucumber, sliced then quartered
Grated carrot
Corn kernels
Pickled ginger (out of the jar or nick some from Sushi Station)
One boiled egg, halved (nice if the centre still a bit soft and runny)
Toasted sesame seeds

Method

Cut the salmon into 2cm cubes, or thereabouts.

Which the soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin and ginger in a bowl then toss through the salmon.

Heat the rice, or cook it if you're being good, and put it in a noodle bowl.

Decorate around the top of the rice with the edamame, wakame, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, carrot and corn.

Heap the salmon on top, you don't need to drain the liquid. Top with the ginger, egg and sesame seeds.

Serve with green tea.

YUM!